Tom Waits recommendations???

5 Replies, 299 Views

ok musiclovers, I know there's some diverse and eclectic tastes on here so wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have one Tom Waits album, Nitehawks at The Diner which I got about 8 years ago and I've played it to death, can't get enough of it. I heard it round a mate's house who was quite into TW and he reckoned it was his worst album but I really dug the jazzy, lyrically-freeform vibe to it. Heard bits and pieces of his other stuff and some of it wasn't my cup of tea but I wanna hear summore...

...any suggestions?
"warm like your triple goose with hands like a masseuse"
Ask Mr Unsane, he lives, eats and shits Tom Waits...!!
my recommendation...

avoid Tom Waits :P
I like "Bone Machine". It's junkyard percussion and stripped down arrangements make for an excellent record. It's definitely my favorite.

Other than that you might be interested in "Beautiful Maladies". A collection of songs from his Island releases. Some people don't like the collection because the songs are pulled out of context from the original albums but I say :momoon it'sw a great collection.
Okay, If you have started with Nighthawks, then you are digging the jazzy beat poetry stuff.
Tom's releases can be split in two halves, 1973-82 jazzy, blues, beat stuff.
1983-02 much more experimental, but still very jazz blues influenced.
Here is my take on Tom's albums.

Closing Time Asylum 1973:
Great debut, some lovely songs. Tom was finding his feet with this album.
Standout tracks include: Ol' 55, I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You, Grapefruit Moon.
Recommended.

The Heart of Saturday Night Asylum 1974:
The first real classic Waits sounding album. The title track is a Waits classic. Standout tracks include: New Coat of Paint, San Diego Serenade, The Heart of Saturday Night.
Recommended.

Nighthawks at the Diner Asylum 1975:
You have this album, not one of my faves, but a great live look at Tom in 75.

Small Change Asylum 1976:
The first essential Tom album, a total classic. Standout tracks include: Tom Traubert's Blues, Step Right Up, I Wish I Was in New Orleans, Invitation to the Blues, Bad Liver and A Broken Heart .
Highly Recommended.

Foreign Affairs Asylum 1977:
Not quite the great album it should have been, but it sees Tom moving in the right direction.
Standout tracks: Muriel, A Sight For Sore Eyes.

Blue Valentine Asylum 1978:
Right back on track, this is probably the last "old style" Waits album. Contains some truly great songs.
Standout tracks: Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis, Romeo Is Bleeding, Blue Valentines.
Recommended.

One from the Heart Original Soundtrack Recording CBS 1982:
The soundtrack to the Francis Ford Coppolla 82 flop. This is a really nice album, probably more for big Waits fans. Most of the songs are co-sung with Crystal Gale.
Standout tracks: Old Boyfriends, Broken Bicycles.
Recommended.

Swordfishtrombones Island 1983:
Now ya' talking! This is where Waits truly became a master.
Songs about midgets, murder, whores, insects, it's all here.
Standout tracks: Underground, Shore Leave, Dave The Butcher (Instrumental), Johnsburg Illinois, Frank's Wild Years, Swordfishtrombones, Soldier's Things, Gin Soaked Boy, Trouble's Braids
Highly Recommended.

Rain Dogs Island 1985:
What can I say, just when you think Tom could not improve on Swordfish, he unleashes Rain dogs on us. Unbelievable GENUIS.
Standout tracks: pretty much the whole album!
Highly Recommended.

Frank's Wild Years Island 1987
Quite close to the previous two albums. A real grower, almost as good as Rain Dogs.
Standout tracks: Most.
Highly Recommended.

Big Time Island 1988
Live album, nice but for Big Tom fans only.

Night on Earth Original Soundtrack Recording Island 1992
Mostly instrumental soundtrack album, nice, but again for fans only.

Bone Machine Island 1992
Tom first proper studio album in Five years. And it was well worth the wait.
It seems Tom had been having some very dark nightmares.
This album is very dark. One of his best.
Standout tracks: most.
Highly Recommended.

The Black Rider Island 1993
From a German play Tom wrote with William Burrows.
Full of carnivals and Skeletons. Not for everyone, but I love it.
Recommended.

Mule Variations Epitaph 1999
Big gap in studio albums again. This album sees Tom in a very bluesy mood. Lot's of very Scratchy old sounding songs.

Blood Money Anti 2002
Great album which is basically a re-recording by Tom of the songs he wrote for the Robert Wilson play of Woyzeck.
Highly Recommended.

Alice Anti 2002
Another Play. This album spent many years as a bootleg. Tom re-recorded it at the same time as Blood Money. Classic.
Highly Recommended.

I think the best places to start are(in order of release), Heart of Saturday Night, Small Change, Heart attack and Vine, Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Bone Machine. Then but em' all!!

There are many compilations around also.
Icon_eek

nice one Unsane, that'll keep me busy in selectadisc this weekend! Bone Machine was the second album I heard of his and maybe it was b/c I was expecting something along the lines on Nitehawks, but it didn't appeal at the time. Will run thru his 70s ish for starters!
"warm like your triple goose with hands like a masseuse"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tom & Jerry - Limited Edition Vinyl Madness firefinga 6 3,824 23rd April 2019, 12:50
Last Post: noisemonkey
  NEWS Petition for Tom and Jerry Represses (aka 4 Hero) firefinga 2 2,933 4th September 2015, 08:24
Last Post: firefinga
  bukem & peshay - 19.5 (tom middleton remix) cube 7 3,892 25th March 2011, 15:37
Last Post: Jason oS
  tom cruise Jason oS 40 6,706 1st October 2010, 17:20
Last Post: rentboy
  George Gillet and Tom Hicks to buy out Inperspective Records Code 26 4,866 25th November 2009, 03:14
Last Post: Code