a topic related to the music thread...

8 Replies, 1056 Views

..take fashion in general...

what is with the trend for wearing communist fashion? i see people walking around wearing mao t shirts and hats, and a whole host of soviet russian leaders. then theres che ,and fidel. i wonder if those people would be comfortable wearing adolf hitler outfits? mao has arguably been resopnsoble for as many deaths as adolf - stalin and lenin killed far more between them - every bit as unjustly as the holocaust.

do you wear post communist clothing? do you have an opinion on the matter?
che is a bit of a different sory, but yeh i dont understand the mau stuff....

about as cool as mullets in my eye, but then again they're the height of fashion in the trendier parts of london Roll
_cform Wrote:do you wear post communist clothing? do you have an opinion on the matter?

no, but usually these things depend on what is available cheap
it used to be old German army surplus stuff
is there a lot of old chinese communist merchandise around?
_cform Wrote:i see people walking around wearing mao t shirts and hats, and a whole host of soviet russian leaders
?

...mao? wtf -talk about truly bad taste
To me it's a bunch of ill informed fashion designers who are trying to get on the anti-capitalist/anti-globalisation/anti-consumerist bandwagon, but mis-interpreting it completely due to their own lack of understanding of those groups. they've just gone for old symbols of anti-capitalism (marxist stuff) as a quick fix.

there is a real trend amongst trendsetters for uber-cool-ness IMO. this means that they are too cool to like anything serious, they just like things they can laugh at. that the 80's revival. for me that is based upon an idea of "ha, ha, the people looked like fools, the music sucked ass, but i'm gonig to dress like that and listed to the music just coz i'm soo cool i can get away with it."

most fashion is a load of bollocks anyway.
_cform Wrote:..take fashion in general...

what is with the trend for wearing communist fashion? i see people walking around wearing mao t shirts and hats, and a whole host of soviet russian leaders. then theres che ,and fidel. i wonder if those people would be comfortable wearing adolf hitler outfits? mao has arguably been resopnsoble for as many deaths as adolf - stalin and lenin killed far more between them - every bit as unjustly as the holocaust.

do you wear post communist clothing? do you have an opinion on the matter?

It's a mix of 2 things:

1) the desire to wear something a little risque - the symbol of something that was once vilified in our society

2) the desire to trade-off the final hours of meaning that these symbols still convey even in their death throes

Those who wear them tend to be about as well informed about their origins as Jennifer Aniston probably is about the MC5 t-shirt she wore in Friends.. Such Fashionistas inevitably claim not to be interested in the actual meaning of the symbols and simply wear these garments cos they look 'cool'. Basically true but somewhat disingenuous, cos they DO know that these things were once poltically loaded, and they're trading off that ambiguity.

That's the world of Fashion old bean - you get similar shit in music too...
Breaker Wrote:there is a real trend amongst trendsetters for uber-cool-ness IMO. this means that they are too cool to like anything serious, they just like things they can laugh at. that the 80's revival. for me that is based upon an idea of "ha, ha, the people looked like fools, the music sucked ass, but i'm gonig to dress like that and listed to the music just coz i'm soo cool i can get away with it."

This generation fears meaning. They look at the shattered remains of old world politics, religion, the male-female relationship etc. etc. and think that the only appropriate response is to play it cool by never aligning themselves with anything 'serious'. If you claim to mean or stand for something, then you lay yourself open to attack.

Quote:most fashion is a load of bollocks anyway.

Most things are a load of bollox, fashion is just one of 'em! And even those of us who might claim to scorn 'fashion' do look to appearances to denote meaning..
how the fuck do you quote on this site?

yeah i agree wth u naphtor, we do unfortunately tend to judge people on how they dress. shame really.

not sure if this generation fears meaning - i think it's just that they have been indoctrinated by MTV and ant and dec into thinking that the only important things i life are to be rich, vapid, ignorant, decadent consumers of whatever crap gets worn or bigged up by celebrities. or better still, to be a celebrity if only for 15 minutes.

I just don't think fear is the right word. i think they aviod meaning because it rips them out of the consumer bubble and into reality. it's very uncomfortable for them - like the day they get their visa bills!
breaker Wrote:how the fuck do you quote on this site?

same as on any site Wink

either press the quote button in the top right of a post

or type the quote codes yourself round the desired bit of text

e.g.
[quote ]how the fuck do you quote on this site?[/quote ]
brings up
Quote:how the fuck do you quote on this site?

or
breaker Wrote:how the fuck do you quote on this site?[/quote ]
brings up
[quote=breaker]how the fuck do you quote on this site?

removing the spaces in the [quote ] and [/quote ] of course

Xyxthumbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  metalheadz related Photek interview...? Ornette 4 878 23rd February 2024, 19:35
Last Post: Ornette
  MIX Electronics live mix (Queen, Clannad, Topic, Billie Eilish) Muttley 13 6,058 27th March 2020, 13:30
Last Post: Muttley
  Official Smiley Collection Topic subvert 857 384,459 27th November 2017, 16:45
  other music thread Statto 58 20,014 31st August 2017, 15:59
Last Post: Statto
  Omni Music Promotions Thread Muttley 30 15,774 27th August 2017, 12:01