today, I...

1110 Replies, 790584 Views

some of my earliest memories as a kid was going to my grandparent's house and hearing music constantly. my younger uncles were all in their mid to late teens, & early twenties in the 80's, so my formal musical education was whatever they were listening to. I heard tons of Iron Maiden, Venom, The Clash, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh.. any reggae that was out then, Rush, Van Halen, two tone ska, The English Beat, and even stuff like Kreator.

that must have been the reason why my grandfather was a fan of KISS lol. his sons were obsessed with KISS at one point. No joke. He'd sit in his room, and listen to KISS on occasion. That's how I remember him when I was a kid Smile he liked da rawk!

maximum boost gramps! as always. LighterLighter

+ToRMeNT+ Wrote:my grandfather died today.. 17 hours ago i think?

its ok. I'm happy actually. relieved, as I'm sure he would have been to have ended the repeated hospital stays since this past June. this summer has been a struggle with ups & downs over different diagnosis, and what the outcome would be. it was either illness, or deciding when to put him in a senior's home, it just wasn't smart to keep him at home. Its been an interesting year, or so for my grandparents. change happens, old age ensues if you live long enough to experience it right? he was 89.

respects gramps! thanks for everything.

dude had 9 kids. I have a huge extended family, with all the aunt & uncles' in laws, 3 generations of grandchildren (and counting). if anything, his passing is a way for his own 9 kids to learn how to deal with each other again. its only just begun. they have to learn new tricks right? its not easy, but that's family right? I wish them well, in sorting things out amongst themselves.

I listened to Synkro last nite before I went to bed, and thought about my grandpa. Little did I know, a couple hours later after I fell asleep, he would have vacated this level of life. I feel happy for him. he did GREAT! We owe him everything.

cheers. Smile

My condolences. May he rest in peace.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
^^ thanks man.
Sad to hear man, but at least your grandad had a good innings and 9 children to bring in the new generations. Respects for taking it so well. Xyxthumbs

28.09.14 - Today's horoscope

Express your devotion to loved ones today. Include yourself in the love-fest, too!
You're in a good spot, focused on a bright future. Read more…

Rating: 5/5 - Intensity: 63 - Keywords: defensive, esoteric - Mood: You feel fireball

29.09.14 - Today's horoscope

You're restless down into your soul today. Dispel some energy through exercise.
Reading can also help you feel more calm and centred.

Rating: 1/5 - Intensity: 84 - Keywords: moralistic, strange - Mood: You feel rushed

Won a point on http://www.nightshift.oxfordmusic.net's Dumbass Record Collection Quiz with Charles Ives.
Organised family friend to stay.
Made some notes on Ormonde - Cartographer.
Deleted a electronica track that I don't need.
Demonstrated a lock.
Wrote out tracklist for "Home".
"We Lived In A Garden's Heart" and "Children" re-viewed by someone.

01. Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home (The Very Best Of)
02. Broken Records - Nearly Home (Until The Earth Begins To Part)
03. Spinnerette - Distorting A Code (Spinnerette)
04. Kosheen - Coming Home (Kokopelli)
05. Steely Dan - Home At Last (Aja)
06. Little Fish - Party (Live At The Viper Rooms LA)
07. Burial - Broken Home (Burial)
08. Peter Broderick - Not At Home (Home)
09. Sparrow And The Workshop - Broken Heart, Broken Home (Sparrow And The Workshop)

"Lost In Thought" (Subvert Central Podcast) re-viewed on SubVersion.

Listened to:

Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love
Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing

Napped with girlfriend.
Tried a new wine - Castel Vero Piemonte Barbera 2012 and posted it in the wine thread.
Walked up to local fried chicken shop that I haven't been to since 2010 and bought non-salted portion for Mum
and 3 piece with garlic sauce and chips for me. I was stuffed! Can't eat as much anymore. Non-salted scraps for Mutley. Smile
Gave some suggestions on Facebuke from being tagged by Simon Bean for folk music recommendations.
Listened to Kiss (the band) for the first time.

Today's horoscope - I'm still amused by these

You're filled with big ideas today. But if you want to manifest them in reality, you'll need to get
practical about limits and resources.

Rating: 1/5 - Intensity: 84 - Keywords: scattered, sporty - Mood: You feel possessive

"Are these aims or suggestions?" ~ gappy, 13:09

Today's horoscope

If you want to renounce the world, go for it. After today there won't be any locked doors or sealed borders.
Savor this quiet time alone.

Rating: 5/5 - Intensity: 85 - Keywords: obvious, make or break - Mood: You feel the human angle

"Hurt" re-viewed twice by someone at 14:00, and twice at 16:00.
Listened to Mono/Poly - Golden Skies, which I bought from http://www.boomkat.com digitally for £7.
Listened to Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (Remastered) #notagodspeedripoff
RT some interesting stuff.
"Responsibilities" re-viewed.
Instated Flaks on Command And Conquer bases.
Ate meatballs and pasta/salad with chilli spice powder mixed in, watching Strictly results with Mum and Dad.
Won 22nd point on Record Collection Quiz with Jean Michel Jarre.

"She asks you to never call and hopes it's you when the phone rings. Such are women.
When they don't understand themselves, how would you?" ~ Sarah O' Neil, Twitter.

"We Lived In A Garden's Heart" re-viewed on SubVersion after that by someone.

Amongst other things...

Listened to Sundrugs - Low LP, re-listened to Siavash Amini - What Wind Whispered Into The Trees LP,
reviewed both in a double review for The Wire.

-Today's horoscope-

So what if you're in hiding? You'll be found again soon. Till then, you can gather your strength for the energetic
month ahead.

Rating: 5/5 - Intensity: 85 - Keywords: hot property, calls your name - Mood: You feel vet

nan and grandad present collations*
Foci's Left & Geoff Brooks upload*
"J'Aime" upload to YouTube*
Watched over Mutley*
Played C&C:TA
Roast pork, sweet & roast potatoes and green beans for tea. Syns for day: 10 (gravy, 2, cracklin 7, fish oil 1)
Watched Carl Rogers "Gloria" introduction on YouTube, his voice is as I remembered him, and the words.
Called Jon a dibbler
-07.10.14- Today's horoscope

Sensitivity leads to hurt feelings today, because people speak bluntly.
On the other hand, you're more willing to stand up for yourself.

Rating: 4/5 - Intensity: 55 - Keywords: undisguised, up front - Mood: You feel fancy

Read terrific FlyLo interview re: You're Dead! LP.
Wrote some Ormonde notes.
Decided to cook Lamb Chops, green beans, boiled potatoes, sausages and chipolatas/onion and spices (thyme, mint) tonight.
Posted SC thread Juno 99p CD/vinyl sale.
Played C&C:TA. 2 bases took out by a LV 36 (I'm LV 23 highest) player giorki 3 last night it seems. Moved bases back.
Went to shops, stayed in car park, too much fidgety-ness.
Accepted a partnership with a local service.
Watched Newsnight, Naomi Klein, with Stan Collymore talking about depression, borderline personality and schizophrenia.
...am working on a difficult editing job

I was doing that yesterday too

and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before

Neutral
today, this morning..

as of RIGHT NOW, all i give a fuck about is the new Have Mercy lp called "A Place of Our Own" that is dropping October 27, 2014, via Hopeless Records.

i need this. it will be more to add to the short Have Mercy discography playist thus far.

OH happy days. happy days. Smile Hyper

[video=vimeo;56826837]http://vimeo.com/56826837[/video]
Muttley Wrote:Sad to hear man, but at least your grandad had a good innings and 9 children to bring in the new generations. Respects for taking it so well. Xyxthumbs

...Listened to Kiss (the band) for the first time.

cheers. thanks Smile
Statto Wrote:...am working on a difficult editing job

I was doing that yesterday too

and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before
and the day before

Neutral

But I bet you were doing something different the day before. Wink
yes, probably Wink
Ya dibbler.
Of course though it's pretty banal reading rarely changing entries if they just become too dense to disseminate any different, idiosyncratic stuff. That's why I'm writing as little as possible, as infrequently as possible. On the other hand, it gives activity on the forum - I would say something to interest you when you aren't busy editing me.
Got off my arse, finished this after 2 weeks gestation:

Ormonde - Cartographer/Explorer (Gizeh)

There are times in your life where you don't have a map, going through things like you just stumbled into something. And there are times where you are following a line plumbed to an exact measurement. You can be a follower of a map, or a maker of one, and you can explore at either time like there was all or none. What matters most is not that you reach your destination, but that you had fun along the way. That enjoyment, after all, stems back to the whole purpose of exploring.

With no context, 'Cartographer' still sounds mighty fine. The informed will know cartography is the art of creating maps, and exploring those maps is the natural extension. As a polemic towards adventure it's apt for the release, Anna Lynne-Williams and Robert Gomez travelling like an important phone call, and denied a receiver. On the Horizon: Is Your Brain Male Or Female? program broadcast 29th September 2014, discussion arose on the inner working of male and female brains and how they differ. If you look at the history of folk and pop with electronics from either gender, it becomes apparent that, like in this program, environmental conditioning would play more of a role than actual neurological wiring. Kim Gordon in Sonic Youth, Siousxie And The Banshees, PJ Harvey, KD Lang - all these women, through more than their sexual orientation guiding them (Lang for example being a keen gay activist) have subverted cultural stereotypes and intentionally polarised the boy/girl divide that man/woman identification on mature records would develop.

It's the same with Ormonde's "Cartographer/Explorer". The whimsical title cut "Explorer/Cartographer" reverses the wording and track/gender roles, the male side hinting "you can be cartographer", "I can be explorer", these themes interleaving themselves throughout the piece and album in metanarrative terms. Quintessential and ruminative all at once, pensive and enchanting, the pencil outlining of acoustic folk as a softer lynchpin of masculinity and feminity, and the dissolution of the male/female brain theory, conjoins into a huddled shape, and rather than sap, uses husky lyricism and vocal range to give the music a realness, a timeless weight. It could be argued the lyricism has been honed by Ormonde's time touring with reputable indie/post-rock bands like Explosions In The Sky, John Grant and Feist. Williams and Gomez' first record, "Machine", garnered praise from critics worldwide and by the sounds of "Cartographer/Explorer", this second should too.

'Threshold' is a gentle folk chug, while "Fast Forward" has a driving guitar groove not dissimilar with Zelienople's 'Give It Up' efforts. 'Snake' and it's "I had a dream" vocal overlay has a synthesiser line resembling Tears For Fears' 80s pop classic 'Mad World', here decelerated into a slowcore curtain call, 'Bled out' concluding the needle-breaker effect where bodily liquid leaks profusely from worn crevices of the production. An altogether maudlin vibe kept afloat by temperance in structure and pacing, standout track of the album, 'Paintings' comes off as some deserted PJ Harvey piece of the 2009 era, shackled by frozen thaws from heavy clouds that hide the sun. It sounds like secrets are being kept, indeed, but the craic seems to be a wish to unattach to evil doctrines, merely lust looking for an answer from the siren of song.

Mick Buckingham

http://www.fluid-radio.co.uk review 127 Smile
...tried to build more of an appreication of internet history, and thought about this great quote:

"We must do away with the wholly specious notion that everyone has to earn a living".

- Prepared for parents' friends coming back from their meeting.
- Re-organised rest room and removed some unnecessary stuff.
- Upgraded bases on C&C:TA, ranked 1608 World.
- Received word 'J'Aime' is being worked into a non-dnb version.
- Checked blogs, trying to appreciate more of the things that make up the world opposed to offal.
- Syns: Hoisin Sauce 3, peanuts 2, Spitfire 16, Stella 8. Nice Chickpea & Spinach soup in afternoon, tastes Indian.

Today's horoscope

You want to enjoy warm, affectionate moments with loved ones. You need closeness, so you're handing out hugs.
Seek out groups of friends.

Rating: 3/5 - Intensity: 69 - Keywords: robust returns, replace - Mood: You feel upgrade

Yawn
...got home from Cornwall

Wave
Did ou time travel or take the bus?
I travelled by...

[Image: fastcar.gif]
I'm sure you did. Meanwhile, today, I completed a present for my grandparents' Diamond Anniversary.
+ToRMeNT+ Wrote:today, this morning..

as of RIGHT NOW, all i give a fuck about is the new Have Mercy lp called "A Place of Our Own" that is dropping October 27, 2014, via Hopeless Records.

i need this. it will be more to add to the short Have Mercy discography playist thus far.

OH happy days. happy days. Smile Hyper

[video=vimeo;56826837]http://vimeo.com/56826837[/video]

seriously, lets do this.

21.10.14 - Today's horoscope

Social invitations come out of the blue today. You might have to do some juggling to fit them all in! Build in some you-time, too.

Rating: 3/5 - Intensity: 69 - Keywords: ungrounded, imperious - Mood: You feel finicky

ripped second-in-pile muttley mix from 2005 (backup cd) - the first one has a great mix of zulu warrior and signal, but the rest goes a bit too loose.
posted in kermit's dictionary thread
thinking about uploading the mix i made with 1 year's experience, it sounds crunchy and vibey as f**k, 2005, so much good jungle across the board at that time

01. Kemal & Black Sun Empire - Stranded V1.0 (oBSEssions, 2005)
02. Resound - Circular Structure (Counter Intelligence, 2004)
03. Beta 2 & Zero Tolerance - Front Door (?)
04. Breakage - Rise (Bassbin, 2005)
05. ASC - Serenity (?, 2003)
06. High Contrast - Savoire Faire (Hospital, 2002)
07. ASC - Chrysalis [edit] (Camino Blue?)
08. Klute - Don't Wanna Be Alone (Commercial Suicide, 2005)
09. Silent Witness - Amazon (DNAudio, 2005)
10. Phace - Polymers (Subtitles, 2005)
11. Silver - Angry & Bitter (?, 2005)
12. Tactile - Spaced Out (Timeless, 2004)
13. Counterstrike - Phantasm (Moving Shadow, 2004)
14. Skitty - Fall Down (Renegade Hardware, 2004)
15. Klute - Rosemary (Commercial Suicide, 2005)
16/17. Ewun vs Counterstrike - Face The Zulu Warrior (Barcode / Moving Shadow, 2004)

Kidzania might actually be a good name for this mix.

The vinyl riposte article on SubVersion seems to be doing very well in terms of readers. It's amazing we still get 500+ unique viewers a month, I rarely promote.
Timestretched jungle ambiences mix got another viewing too. If I start finding more ambiences worth sampling from contemporary jungle breakdowns I'd consider doing another.
Some Fanu tracks fit the bill - thanks Janne for sharing yr music for free for a day.
In fact I have so much worth reading. Silence Is Golden got another view, so did Soul Eraser, being two of the best collages I've done (must remember to ask Adrian Aniol again if he has that mix still).
Talking to Statto was nice today.
I got promoted to Ensign on C&C:TA the other day too, now ranked in the 1500s out of 35000 players in my world.
Played a new piano improvisation on Cassius (my first synth) with rock timbre and a chorus organ accompaniment, then overdubbed another layer of warm vox sounds the second time inside the hardware.
It's going to be a demo for the "Children's Music" working title EP I've had in the works on some days. "Bunny Hop Farm" will be on there.
Music for kids but with a twist, being multilayered ambiences with classical leanings, different themes for each.
Nice quote from a Nightshift Magazine review by Paul Carrera: "It's often said that a comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there".

Anti-Gravity Mummy ‏@justinsnow

"I like the blown out sound we found,
I like the way it feels here coming down,
The way your headstone shines, I only wish that it was mine"

Hmmzie, up at about 10. Took my acid but not my Chlorpromazine as it's like fucking ketamine tranquilising that stuff.
Posted in classic proper tunes thread Justin Hayward's 'Forever Autumn' in memory of my Nan.
Requested a review.
Burnt a couple of CDs and remixed a tracklist.
Got a promo sub offer from Galdoors, a label Ben UFO fondly supports.
Played C&C:TA for approx 20 minutes, destroyed a couple Outposts, upgraded 2 bases to LV 24. Thanks for the extra Tiberium.

So, I could rummage through some more of my backups, see what I can pick out. Or I could upload Kidzania. Or I could muck about with some piano samples and edit them. Or I could try FR 128 rev.

Syns: 3 (brunch bar).

I've cut out alchohol > 3 days. Hoping to get back down to about 16st 7. Then lose more from there. It really is the drink. Even though I rarely go outside to walk.
Command And Conquer: Tiberium Alliances World 87 is offline. Not sure what's happening there. I was about to play for 20 minutes before I heat up some steak. I know the Forgotten Fortress got annhilated yesterday so perhaps that's why.

Out for a music pub quiz tonight. Definitely going now.
Got up at 0447. Did some stretches and press-ups, then some meditation. Read FT, and then a book on Zen (finished it - very good) and then read a book on typography (I like graphics). Then went to work 1 hour late. Had a meeting (boring). Then came home 2 hours early and did some work at home. Had some dinner (roast beef sandwiches in Glasgow Rolls) and read MMAfighting.com (I'm a fight fan). Then Facetimed gf (stays in NYC), and then did some more work. Then listened to some music (Wu-tang, Aphex Twin, Calibre, Marcus Intalex, Necro). 7pm: time to clean the house and go to bed Teef