STILL HAVING LOUDNESS PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 Replies, 4936 Views

Fucks sake man, this is doing my nut in.

So, im doing a new mixdown fo the ice planet... the old one is about 3 years old and sounds it. the new one is brighter, crisper and cleanr... also QUIETER!!!!!! even though i hi-passed all the stuff that doesnt need bottom end.. snares, hats, pads.... and im overdriving the desk's master fader too, to cut any serious peaks... but the old mix is still quieter Icon_sad

only thing i can thinkis that i gave the actuall bass sample a boost in the 50Hz range. Also, i boosted the EQ on the drums too. but man, its A LOT quiter.

im thinking of limitiing the break by another 1.5 / 2 db and chopping again.

Annoying, cos the mix sound 100000000000000000 times better, just not as loud.
And?

If it sounds better, use yer volume knob!

(I know what you're saying, but fuck it!)
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Macc Wrote:And?

If it sounds better, use yer volume knob!

(I know what you're saying, but fuck it!)

i just HATE quiet vinyl. thats all... they never get played as much. Lame, but true.
I know, but you aren't mastering it, are you?

Do me a favour if you can be arsed, ping over a lofi of both mixdowns and I'll have a 'peak' (hoho!) in Wavelab. If you want.
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
wow is that tune really that old? Sounds fresh frax Grin
Hmm, off hand you could either depend on the mastering engineer to bring the levels up, or you could reverse engineer your new mixdown compared with last one to work out why you've lost the loudness.

Maybe the high passing as removed some body from the mix that was there on the original mixdown (sorry I don't really know what I'm going on about Oops)?
try it with out the bass at all and see what levels you are hitting, may just be a case of the bass being to loud i reakon , i do this when im unsure and it always helps as you can see what the tune is doing minus the bass, if its all under say -6 the you need to drop ya bass i reakon, ( have not heard your mix tho so this is speculation)
aye, could well be that.

squish that bass! Falcon
dsp Wrote:try it with out the bass at all and see what levels you are hitting, may just be a case of the bass being to loud i reakon , i do this when im unsure and it always helps as you can see what the tune is doing minus the bass, if its all under say -6 the you need to drop ya bass i reakon, ( have not heard your mix tho so this is speculation)

yeah its the bass for sure.... i just checked a bit with our bass againts the same bit in the old mix and they're roughly the same. goddam bass. thing is... i WANT it as loud as ive got it.
Squash it more with a pretty long release time then (to avoid distortion). Or do that with a long attack then L1 limit that (ith 40ms+ release on L1). That should help......

It's always the pissing bass.... LOL
Thinking about it more simply, you've only got so much headroom. This leaves you two choices (assuming you want the bass as loud as it is).

a) Make everything else louder (ie limit everything else more Neutral )

b) say bollocks to it, and let the mastering engineer squash your tune so the bass ducks everything else, but when the bass ain't there everything else is loud. No one gives a shit about this that I have seen - hear it all the time at Technicality......
macc Wrote:squash it more with a pretty long release time then (to avoid distortion). or do that with a long attack then l1 limit that (ith 40ms+ release on l1).

Nervous
Icon_question Baffled
i Hahaha sorry it's just a bit freaky when you guys start quoting numbers and frequencys, thats all ( Grumble novice )
Macc Wrote:Squash it more with a pretty long release time then (to avoid distortion). Or do that with a long attack then L1 limit that (ith 40ms+ release on L1). That should help......

working with hardware only on this one... so unless i record every track individually into the comp, theres no way of limiting the bass. Icon_sad
Oh right Hahaha

Nah, I have just used the L1 sooooooooo much that I know any less than roughly 25ms on the release (depending upon the signal coming through it) will give you nasty distortion.

Of course it depends on a lot of things, but as a general 40 ms is a pretty good 'play it safe' number for sub-bass Smile

Others may well disagree Smile , but it depends what you're doing to it before that, and we are all different there Smile

Lots of smiles in this post Smile Lol
DJFracture Wrote:
Macc Wrote:Squash it more with a pretty long release time then (to avoid distortion). Or do that with a long attack then L1 limit that (ith 40ms+ release on L1). That should help......

working with hardware only on this one... so unless i record every track individually into the comp, theres no way of limiting the bass. Icon_sad

You're using a single (well, not many) bass samples though, innit? Can't you pop the sample into the computer, do the necessaries then 'replace sample/s' in the sampler?

Hmm, that depends on whether the bass is getting anything done to it between sampler + ears (ie is the bass in the sampler all treated or are you running through something on the way to/in the mixer?)

Knowing you you've wanged up the lo shelf on the mackie and are now complaining about lack of headroom Hahaha ( Geek joke Oops )
Macc Wrote:You're using a single (well, not many) bass samples though, innit? Can't you pop the sample into the computer, do the necessaries then 'replace sample/s' in the sampler?

Hmm, that depends on whether the bass is getting anything done to it between sampler + ears (ie is the bass in the sampler all treated or are you running through something on the way to/in the mixer?)

Knowing you you've wanged up the lo shelf on the mackie and are now complaining about lack of headroom Hahaha ( Geek joke Oops )

yeah, i have already L1'd the single bass sample... but it is then getting fitlered and layered in the sampler... with filters that move, theres also a compressor in the chain... and a slight EQ on the desk.
i assume the filters that move do so in 'real time' controlled by the computer/midi .....

Neutral

pisser. your sampler ain't got enough memory to load a whole basstrack in either has it, then you treat it and chuck the entire bass audio file back in.

after that all i can say is stick yer comp after your eq if poss.

ahhhh!!!!!!! Icon123

what you could do is record the 'non bass' tracks into the computer, then record the bass track and leave yourself with a two track mix in the computer. at least you'd have the bass separated in the pc with all the shit on it............

Chin

off training now - good luck mate Smile
well i have been in the Emu resampling all breaks prior to chop by about 3-5db gain above normalisation.

I dont hear noise, clipped distortion....... just about a 30-40% increase in the volume of the hits.

Cool

.......well thats only if its the peaks in the breaks fucking your mixdown, i used to get that but dont anymore.
i just want to say..the Ice Planet vinyl sounds amazing..

j

0=0

p.s. i'm having the same problem with my tune.
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
DJFracture Wrote:yeah its the bass for sure.... i just checked a bit with our bass againts the same bit in the old mix and they're roughly the same. goddam bass. thing is... i WANT it as loud as ive got it.

So when you say you want it as loud as you have it, does that mean how it sounds in the room at that level? (as opposed to some other way of measuring the volume, like a meter, etc.?)

It may be that you've got a room mode that attenuates around 50hz, and therefore prompted you to boost more than you really needed to in order to get it to "sound right". In other words, the bass might really be louder than you want it, but your room is making it sound like it's at the right level.
Negentropy Wrote:
DJFracture Wrote:yeah its the bass for sure.... i just checked a bit with our bass againts the same bit in the old mix and they're roughly the same. goddam bass. thing is... i WANT it as loud as ive got it.

So when you say you want it as loud as you have it, does that mean how it sounds in the room at that level? (as opposed to some other way of measuring the volume, like a meter, etc.?)

It may be that you've got a room mode that attenuates around 50hz, and therefore prompted you to boost more than you really needed to in order to get it to "sound right". In other words, the bass might really be louder than you want it, but your room is making it sound like it's at the right level.

i think he means loudness in the RMS sense.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
0=0 Wrote:i think he means loudness in the RMS sense.

j

0=0

So overall RMS, or the RMS of the subs relative to the overall RMS?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bob Ludwig/GnR/End of Loudness wars? Macc 12 2,537 27th November 2008, 10:30
Last Post: Macc
  The Loudness War - In very simple terms... subvert 5 1,607 31st August 2008, 15:07
Last Post: cube
  Loudness Wars/RMS/Sound grumble Macc 83 12,181 23rd October 2006, 17:58
Last Post: Shiva
  Geeks - perception of loudness Logos 3 1,626 16th March 2005, 21:54
Last Post: Divine Ruler
  Loudness Race littleNemo 7 2,405 9th July 2004, 16:54
Last Post: Macc