How does one chop the Lyn Collins - Think About It Break?

19 Replies, 5958 Views

the tambourines in the lyn collins - think about it break have a kind of swing to them Nervous does anyone have any tips about chopping this beautiful breakbeat?
with a really sharp knife!

Piratenaphta
if you just want to maintain the feel of that one bar of tambourine, leave it whole and pitch it up/down to the tempo of your tune. that's one of the only chunks of a break i'd ever do that to though....

otherwise, if you're using recycle, just cut it accurately and use the export midi file feature to maintain the groove in your project. (if that's the goal)
dodz Wrote:otherwise, if you're using recycle, just cut it accurately and use the export midi file feature to maintain the groove in your project. (if that's the goal)

not in this case No - unless you timestretch it to tempo first *spits on floor*

the tambourines generally have verrrryyyyyy loooonggg attacks, meaning that you want to chop them very loose (to separate the chkachka in to ch ka ch ka properly). but doing that, then adjusting the tempo up places the emphasis of the tamb hits late, destroying the groove the tamb hits have.

truth is it's one of the very hardest breakbeats to get right if you want to make a new pattern but maintain the swing/groove properly. it can be done though Yes

oh, and timestretching can fuck off Smiley
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Macc Wrote:Truth is it's one of the very hardest breakbeats to get right if you want to make a new pattern but maintain the swing/groove properly.
I disagree
two words: Jack DeJohnette Smile
-a}}|{{{
Of course, jazz breaks and such like are extremely tough, but I meant more in the classic 'dnb funk break' sense.

If you want to talk about chopping DeJohnette and keeping the groove, we can do that... Grin Homerdrool You need to hear It's Late (feat dodz on geetar) Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
manually chop it!! Cool
Shiva Wrote:manually chop it!! Cool

Manually chop everything Spank

:chopnazi:
Macc Wrote:

:P
Macc Wrote:

with snap right?

Teef
Macc Wrote:

Hahaha
dionysus Wrote:
Macc Wrote:

with snap right?

Hahaha awesome
Lol Lol

You guys should use recylce and kontact it is much better, honest.
macc Wrote:truth is it's one of the very hardest breakbeats to get right if you want to make a new pattern but maintain the swing/groove properly. it can be done though Yes
:

any tips on this one.....not a break i've chopped before (surprisingly !!!!)

how would you generally resolve issues like 'groove loss' ....?

xaf.
xaf Wrote:
macc Wrote:truth is it's one of the very hardest breakbeats to get right if you want to make a new pattern but maintain the swing/groove properly. it can be done though Yes
:

xaf.

get right down into the 1/64s of a bar.
Just careful chopping then ????? (Standard practice anyway Cool )

XAF
Xaf Wrote:Any tips on this one.....not a break i've chopped before (surprisingly !!!!)

How would you generally resolve issues like 'groove loss' ....?

Xaf.

What I posted a few posts above regarding the tambourines Wink

In short, forget all the lines and use your ears. Or chop it as audio and use your eyes to carefully place the tamb accents in appropriate places, and use correct crossfades to avoid comb filtering from overlapping tamb hits.
shiva Wrote:
xaf Wrote:
:

xaf.

get right down into the 1/64s of a bar.

if it swings, use triplets. 1/16t is sufficient in most cases.
fucking stab the fucking shit out of the fucking thing until it's a bleeding mess on the floor, then you can put it back together as god (you) intended....

or is that murdering a hooker? i get confused sometimes.

:terror:
Icon_eek

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My first amen chop ! Code 1 1,147 5th April 2008, 15:03
Last Post: cram
  Chop School: Assignment 1 - 'The Prep' Macc 161 23,064 11th December 2007, 16:52
Last Post: markgabba
  Can't find Chop School Thread? Any tips? Kachanski 6 2,726 29th October 2007, 16:24
Last Post: Macc
  Chop School Assignment 1 - The Results Macc 65 10,076 9th April 2007, 09:32
Last Post: djfada
  where do you chop skeeter 62 9,455 27th March 2007, 02:26
Last Post: Abend