"total output" clipping question

10 Replies, 5424 Views

so im making beats in logic pro 7 (altho this is a question applicable to all software) and all my individual tracks are underneath the red and not clipping but then i peep out the total output meter and it's in the red at +5.0

are there any tips to keeping the total output underneath the clipping level besides simply lowering it or lowering all the individual tracks?

and how much clipping is ok?

thx yall.
well its debateable as when running at 32bit in theory you have lots of headroom, i recently saw a pic of a screen in a major studio where the producer had all the logic channels 'clipping' on the way to the desk and it obviously wasnt really clipping... i would say tho the main output meter (if you are summing inside logic) should not be clipping

but i would say - do some research and make you own mind up!

personally i keep eveyrthing out of the red, its a pain if you have to reduce all the tracks for sure - so setup your autoload so all audio objects start at -6db and it will make things easier..
Your post shows a simple misunderstanding Smile

Remember that signals ADD UP. So when two -6dB sources play at the same time, the master shows 0dB (6dB being 50%).

The best analogy for mixing is a tree (or river). All those little branches/tributaries are very little, meeting up to make bigger branches and so on, eventually all meeting in the trunk/river. By definition, none of those branches can be bigger than the the trunk - it is nonsensical when you think about it.

So just remember to keep your branches in the right proportion, and (IMHO!) Keep the 'trunk' the same size by not moving the master fader if it clips. Learn to mix so that you don't need to move the master fader.

re: Bob's 32-bit point, ignore that for now. Bob's right in that 32-bit has bundles of headroom, but as soon as the signal hits the DA convertors (which make the 1's and 0's into sound), the 32-bit advantage is lost as all convertors these days are 24-bit. So the signal hits a 'bit depth bottleneck', and therefore WILL clip.

Bob's advice about starting with all your faders down a bit is VERY sound. Personally I prefer just to have the sounds made quieter before it even gets to the faders, as fader resolution is much finer near 0dB. In a perfect world all sounds are 'recorded' at the right volume, and you don't have to touch anything Wink Aim for that, your mixes will thank you!

Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Oh, and don't clip. Just don't.
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
"simple misunderstanding" is my middle name!

thanks two bobs for the clarification and advice... like most novice producers i want my shit to sound LOUD right away but i need to work my way up there and i can't fudge it from the beginning. well i could but it'll result in ass sounding tracks.
'two bobs' Lol (English joke)

Somewhere on here is a rant from me regarding 'gain structure' - find it, read it, digest it Smile
*especially* do not clip any channels that are routed to physical outputs

numerous people (me included) think itb mixes sound better when individual channels are well below 0db.
remember that your meters are showing the output from the channel, so make sure the gain structure fron insert to insert is also managed Xyxthumbs
a big fat fucking Yes to that last bit Applause

especially if you use waves plugs, which do audibly clip when they, er, clip.
Macc Wrote:Oh, and don't clip. Just don't.

What do you mean? Clipping sounds fantastic!* Grin

*Teef
Really raw and punchy or whatever it was you said, yeah?
Turning up faders is probably my worst habit in production..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help! Recording balanced output to unbalanced input advise Scape 2 3,400 23rd June 2011, 17:08
Last Post: Scape
  Clipping / Distortion Question mucsavage 14 4,697 8th December 2008, 18:38
Last Post: mucsavage
  analog clipping-good or bad?? Ruffneck Dave 6 2,959 25th February 2008, 14:47
Last Post: Ruffneck Dave
  Clipping/distortion/lim/comp - what you do to your tunes Profane 100 20,107 7th December 2007, 16:07
Last Post: Macc
  Digital clipping weirdness Logos 1 1,305 28th May 2007, 00:04
Last Post: Logos