IS IT JUST ME OR......

497 Replies, 71451 Views

Chris Inperspective Wrote:You've heard of the Brazil EP? Well Watch out for the Greek EP on Mash up!!! Wink

yeah. I heard it's being smashed on plate.

geddit..

I'll get me coat.

Stacks
Chris Inperspective Wrote:You've heard of the Brazil EP? Well Watch out for the Greek EP on Mash up!!! Wink

Stacks Wrote:yeah. I heard it's being smashed on plate.

geddit..

I'll get me coat.

Stacks

Lol ahahahaa that takes the cake! Cakehomer
chris inperspective Wrote:you've heard of the brazil ep? well watch out for the greek ep on mash up!!! Wink

stacks Wrote:yeah. i heard it's being smashed on plate.

geddit..

i'll get me coat.

stacks

No No :bang
chris inperspective Wrote:you've heard of the brazil ep? well watch out for the greek ep on mash up!!! Wink

0=0 Wrote:hahaha...the bside of "the pain" on boogie beat (#32 i think)..

i actually made a few dnb tracks using traditional greek instrumentations (all of them are based from certain regions in greece and the traditional instruments of those regions)..

sounds mighty :d Xyxthumbs
you know what? Don't mean to sound all soppy, but this forum is fucking wicked!! I so glad that we could all have a massive discussion like this and it donen't turn all stupid like I think it would on DOA......It brings a tear to me eye!!!<sniff>

Just wanted to say that...
Chris Inperspective Wrote:you know what? Don't mean to sound all soppy, but this forum is fucking wicked!! I so glad that we could all have a massive discussion like this and it donen't turn all stupid like I think it would on DOA......It brings a tear to me eye!!!<sniff>

Just wanted to say that...

Aye, props to Blue and the SB cru!!!
awwww Xyxthumbs
What the hell has happened to this thread, it says 9 pages but this is the 10th!!!!!
isnt the internet wonderful? respect to all of you for being positive and making music i love, respect to the streetbeats froum massive, and to the cyberinterwebmatrix for letting all of us, who a decade ago would have been in frustrated isolation, discuss and debate things we would never have been able to before.
the chinese may say its a curse to live in interesting times, and they may say that "crisis" is almost the same as "oppurtunity", but never forget that the chinese word for cannibilism translates literally as "swap girl child get meat".
PEACE
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
Hahaha Xyxthumbs
0=0 hard at work in the studio:

[Image: Bouzouki.jpg]
:eek
Cakes Wrote:0=0 hard at work in the studio:

[Image: Bouzouki.jpg]

Massiveredgrin J ur a roide!! Wackit
Alright Guys,

It's taking me ages to read all of these 10 pages and Naphta has been egging me on to get involved.

I have been thinking of a cd and tour under a name of possibly Breaks 'n' bass. I love the word Jungle and have always used it as a term for the music I play and release with Bassbin, Looney Toonz so far and Breakin and Solas in the future, but it may come across as retro. Initially I was shit scared of creating a new name for a scene but a tour/cd under a banner of Breaks 'n' bass would not be too alienating or retiscent.

As far as I can see, if we had a Knowledge cd under this banner, we could arrange a tour for a month or six weeks after. We could use Refuge our weekly night, Chris might be up for it (Howya mate), hopefully Streetbeats, what about Senses in Scotland, maybe Movement Bar, Belfast (Beckett), Pieter (Ez mate) what about San Fran, Brett for New York(Maybe), I could also hook things up in Belgium, Prague and I know there are loads more.

To push Knowledge in to this we could feasibly take out a full page ad, it's how the business works. Now I don't expect every date to be rammed, but if we had up to 20/30 dates on this tour we could chip in £30 from each date to cover the ad.

People who I think could be or might would want to be involved are as follows

Bailey
Senses
Equinox
Breakage
Dice
Brett
Pieter K
Streetbeats
Fracture and Neptune
Paradox
Polska
Naphta
ESB
Colin
Dan ESB - Canada
Selini

I also have a few other contacts in the States for regional dates in USA an Canada.

I think the profile of the cd and a tour would jsut give us the exposure and feedback that we currently need.

Rohan
Bassbin - Dublin

Let me know what you think about it and if you would like to be involved or not please let me know.
I can't do alot but as the SB boys know i can provide financial backing for events or something similar.

Alteredego
chris inperspective Wrote:you know what? don't mean to sound all soppy, but this forum is fucking wicked!! i so glad that we could all have a massive discussion like this and it donen't turn all stupid like i think it would on doa......it brings a tear to me eye!!!<sniff>

just wanted to say that...

awww Grin Kisskiss Wave
even though I only made it to the top of page 5 I couldn't keep away from clicking the reply button to add my gravy to the mashed potatoes.

I believe that somehow, some way a 'new' scene or 'identity' is already growing internationally with more and more people turning their backs to what is churned out by the industry right now! If I look around to people of my age they increasingly feel that the way the mainstream DnB is going at the moment is not the road they are willing to take. When I did the first night a couple of weeks back I noticed quite a few people that felt liberated of saminess and were enjoying the broadness of our selection without even considering raising an eyebrow...also, a lot of the younger crew in the audience are really starting to dig the craziness in old school jungle and have been coming up to us asking for track titles and when's the next party going to happen and so on!

I also firmly believe is that even when Metalheadz started out I don't think they fully knew how to market themselves or how this music would have to be positioned in the existing dance movement...it kind of just happened and when you notice things starting to roll you would want it to gain momentum, which is when you start to more actively promote what you are doing and backing up people with the same ideas you have...
This is what is happening right now...people from around the globe, who thought they were on their own with their opinions now see that there is a general consensus of things needing to change or develop for them (in the first place) and the rest will follow...Think Funkadelic!

Really, I think we are all getting to a point where we know what we want...the good thing is most of are independent adults, who with some persistence and perseverence will get there too!
Rohan Wrote:Initially I was shit scared of creating a new name for a scene but a tour/cd under a banner of Breaks 'n' bass would not be too alienating or retiscent.

yeah. i think Breaks 'n' Bass is a good name. it combines two genre names so it's not too threatening and using it as aname for a tour would definitely be less alienating than straight up saying 'this is a new sub-genre' - the only problem is that some people might think it was about DnB and Breaks DJs touring together or something, but I suppose that could be overcome with a 'mission statement' or whatever, on the advert. Actually i've already done some logo designs with that name (emailed to you rohan) just 'cos I was bored yesterday and thinking about all the stuff on this thread and 'breaks and bass' seemed appropriate

I think Naphta might like it to be called 'breaks and more breaks' though Smile

I'd like to help out in whatever way I can on any of this.

Stacks
chris inperspective Wrote:what the hell has happened to this thread, it says 9 pages but this is the 10th!!!!!

don't know — seems like some weirdness going down Baffled Icon_eek

check...
http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/view...php?t=1827
http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/view...php?t=1637

or maybe it's because your thread has broken all streetbeats records...

most active topics
1 — 189 replies — is it just me or......

most viewed topics
1 — 1638 views — is it just me or......

Blue
Rohan Wrote:As far as I can see, if we had a Knowledge cd under this banner, we could arrange a tour for a month or six weeks after. We could use Refuge our weekly night, Chris might be up for it (Howya mate), hopefully Streetbeats, what about Senses in Scotland, maybe Movement Bar, Belfast (Beckett), Pieter (Ez mate) what about San Fran, Brett for New York(Maybe), I could also hook things up in Belgium, Prague and I know there are loads more.

Rohan,

Nice seeing you in...it's been a while!

Okay, this is another excellent starting point. A tour.

Here's my contribution to that idea.

Since it will almost surely be unfeasible for any number of Rohan's list of talent to do a tour in all the countries named--due to expense, overexposure of promoters on the names of the individuals on the bill, logistics, etc.--how about we create what is in effect a franchise tour? That is, precede the tour with a long germination period of press, publicity, marketing and most key, a CD album/compilation (figure two discs, one mixed, one not maybe, with the mixed one mixed by the most widely known DJ whose taste and skills 'we'd' all agree can be trusted...as Naphta mooted before, someone like Bailey?) with attendant reviews and press and the like. Then, do the tour, but with a very strong preference towards the banner of the tour and the collective name (think Def Jux or GLO), with the individual DJs under that banner subordinated to the banner. I.e., it won't be the "Bailey, Paradox, Polar, Danny Breaks" tour, but the "(insert name)Breaks'n'Bass" tour." Better example: Ninja Tune. Even if they do promote the tour based on the artists, pretty much everyone I've ever known--when talking about these tours--refers to them as the "Ninja Tune" night. You know, create the brand and then people will buy!

The second important component to that is the idea that not everyone is on the tour all the time. Although the yanks would obviously love to get over yonder and the Brits/Irish/Scots would no doubt love to get over here, for the time being, it might be most useful and efficient if everyone kind of emphasizes their own territory, with as much crossover as can be managed. Obviously, it would be much easier for Naphta to play in London or for Senses to play in Dublin than it would for me to play in London or Brett to play in Prague, but at the beginning, in order to keep the tour financially feasible and enticing for promoters, I think this would be the way to start. Then, it could be gradually built upon, hopefully, as the larger appeal of this whatever-movement grows, the economics will begin to allow for no-holds-barred tours where for example, Dev or UV could pack up all their gear and get on the whole thing, or I could get this band thing going that I'm vaguely working on...etc.

Okay, I didn't explain that very well, but I think you get the idea. The key is: franchise. We--each in our relative locality--"buy" (if you will) into the franchise, although this must be augmented with some necessary crossover, as, if my experience is anything to go by, I get about as much love in my home town as a rat in a cat house, and I suspect that many of us suffer from the same home town blues.

Also, for the rave theorists out there, one additional benefit would be that by subordinating the profile of the individuals in the beginning, it would hearken back to the early (get your hankies out oldtimers) days when the notion of celebrity and personality were themselves subordinated to the grand idea of one dirty mess of happy hippies on drugs dancing in a crop circle!

ACCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEED!!!
you guys are ace and i monitor this thread with enthusiasm and glee!!

bring on the change

LETS GO!!!!
dice Wrote:even though I only made it to the top of page 5 I couldn't keep away from clicking the reply button to add my gravy to the mashed potatoes.

I believe that somehow, some way a 'new' scene or 'identity' is already growing internationally with more and more people turning their backs to what is churned out by the industry right now! If I look around to people of my age they increasingly feel that the way the mainstream DnB is going at the moment is not the road they are willing to take. When I did the first night a couple of weeks back I noticed quite a few people that felt liberated of saminess and were enjoying the broadness of our selection without even considering raising an eyebrow...also, a lot of the younger crew in the audience are really starting to dig the craziness in old school jungle and have been coming up to us asking for track titles and when's the next party going to happen and so on!

I also firmly believe is that even when Metalheadz started out I don't think they fully knew how to market themselves or how this music would have to be positioned in the existing dance movement...it kind of just happened and when you notice things starting to roll you would want it to gain momentum, which is when you start to more actively promote what you are doing and backing up people with the same ideas you have...
This is what is happening right now...people from around the globe, who thought they were on their own with their opinions now see that there is a general consensus of things needing to change or develop for them (in the first place) and the rest will follow...Think Funkadelic!

Really, I think we are all getting to a point where we know what we want...the good thing is most of are independent adults, who with some persistence and perseverence will get there too!

Dice, I TOTALLY hear what your saying..... The fact that we are all talking on the same level is already a step forward. I DO think that each label should be taking responsabilty for there own promotion though..

Rohan, Wicked idea in principle and the knowledge idea is spot on in terms of tracks etc, but there are more of us doing this now than say 2 years ago even.....that list of artists alone wouldn't all fit on one CD....what do you think?

I'm not being negative, as I said it's a cracking idea, it's just the logistics of it all, epecially a tour with SO many labels involved with so many. What I DO suggest though is contact swaps which I could incorporate into a site i'm working on. IE if some one books Naphtha, then we could have a database of like minded promoters which through a back office password any of the other labels can contact.....

I have the URL allaboutthebeats.com which currently points to the inperspective site. It COULD be used as a linking site to everyone involved. very simple with just banners for all the labels and a statment saying why we've done it. We could have the contact swaps as a back office part to the site....Just an idea for now and a whole lot cheaper......We could then all chip in for adverts for that one site which will in turn (hopfully) bring us more attention collectively...
whatever we decide to do we should do it quickly and not let our great ideas goto waste and just be a cool thread....

i firmly believe in this album, tour and promotion thing , labeit a logistical nightmare.

I am totally willing to give any of the ideas in this thread a fucking good go because i believe totally in everything (nearly!!) that you guys say.

how cool is it to find out that youre not alone?

this thread is the start of something beautiful and maybe we'll all look back on this and go YES!!

btw FAO Pieter...what the fuck happened to HIatus?
A tour and an organised CD package is an excellent idea.

I think something to look at here as an inspiration is the ethos and ideas that good looking operate under.....

The logical progression name is instantly synonymous with a certain style and sound, and by creating this name association with a new style of breaks and bass music then you can instantly allow people to connect to the ideas and philosophys behind it.....pretty much what pieter says about the "ninja tunes" effect.....(excellent way of putting it)....

As for the tour side of things, a "franchise" way of doing it is probably the best way of pushing things forward, with a few groups locally trying to push things forwards in their own respective regions......representing the idealogy behind this venutre and hopefully in time establishing a framework that will allow people to travel further afield to showcase their own contributions etc.

As for rohan's notion of pooling resources etc. for trying to run this, and to advertise. Count me in......

Naphta suggested an excellent name for such an excursion early on today via the gift of the email:

Quote:"space2pace"

It was a slogan from an old Metalheadz flyer and I rather liked it - takes
in 2 very important things about this new Jungle initative: the necessity -
literally - for more space in the music, and the necessity, also, of keeping
the physical sweaty interaction goin on - the dancing part!

Marvelous thread this.....
why dont we also form our own Dj/Live agency?