Oldskool Grandad Seeks Some "Nuskool" break chopping advice

10 Replies, 4716 Views

Oioi Geoff Smile

Sorry not replying to your PM - been frantic here - but it was much appreciated Smile Got a few minutes now so I'll try to spell it out concisely as I recall it from my kontakt days...

First, a break can be as tight as you want - it's all about how far you want to go. Actually if you want it bang on feckin super tight, it's easier than 'tight but with feel', but that comes later Grin

Ok so;

In recycle;

1) Set all slice points, one region per hit. If the drummer hit it, chop it. Make sure there's no little click at the end of each hit. Recycle ALWAYS puts the slice points a little too far to the right, giving you a teeny click at the end from the very start of the next hit. It's a cunt.

2) Set beats/bars etc. COUNT IT RIGHT.

3) Set Stretch if you want it (never more than 30% IMHO, but it depends). Best thing about Recycle IMHO, it's just an automatic fw/rv loop, and used in the right way, in the right places, it can do really well... Slow down the preview tempo a LOT and listen, set it to be natural (if you want to use it at all). Too much and it is ugly.

4) Export as individual wavs, and get the midi. Fuck rex files, fuck em right in the ear.

5) Save Teef

6) Open sequencer, import midi file.

7) Open kontakt, open key editor thing, and drag all the little hit samples (from windows) into the keymap jobby. BEFORE you drop them, move the mouse forward/back to get each of the slices on an individual key, and make the first /lowest one sit on C1 (where recycle starts its midi file).

Cool Press play. You'll hear the break play back at whatever tempo you're at.

Now we come to the editing of it all. This is an extremely large topic, so I'll see if I can dig out some of the long arse threads we have had on this in the past. I was more into it then and wrote fuckloads as I recall. These days I don't even think about it, I don't know what I do to be honest!

AGHHLL BE BACCKGH

Messages In This Thread
Oldskool Grandad Seeks Some "Nuskool" break chopping advice - by Macc - 16th June 2008, 17:03

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on chopping amens (and other breaks) Icewind 18 14,879 5th May 2020, 14:01
Last Post: Spectraz
  CHOPPING BRKS IN KONTAKT..HOW DO YOU..... Xaf 12 5,639 23rd May 2007, 18:42
Last Post: Abend
  Chopping vs Synching / Ableton vs ReCycle / Swing vs Itself Tones 21 8,987 27th April 2007, 17:26
Last Post: djfada
  What do you do with a rex file once yer done chopping? Code 21 7,274 9th January 2007, 12:35
Last Post: Code
  MIDI - Question 2 / Drum Chopping Methodology Code 19 4,187 12th July 2006, 16:10
Last Post: Xaf