For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001

945 Replies, 886992 Views

Sometimes, silence is the truest word spoken. Occasionally, lifetimes can pass just by the gap between a track. The 8 hour
Ambientblog.net USB published on Bandcamp at the tail end of 2015 is still something I return to regularly. It's also a
treasured item I think Fluid readers of all ages could enjoy.

In this package, you have approximately eight folders of different files that regard ambient music. Some are reserved for
the compiler and curator, Peter Van Cooten's sound fragment collages - where tracks can be wildly deconstructionist, from
a microsecond of audio to a full mix, compilation turned blend - to exclusive tracks contributed by fans and artists.

Those artists and musicians range from the heathen drones of Rafael Antoni Isarri and his 'Uncharted Sea' outtake (a fave
of mine in the blog's sound player) to newer tracks from the likes of Antonymes and Michael Banabila. A particularly nice
thing about the credit card shaped stick is that the contents becomes devoid of categorisation and hyper-realism (tagging,
connectives only read not heard and felt) and this gives the concept of an Anniversary package an incredibly solid base
from which to be heralded as a timeless artifact by critics. For me, this is something of true beauty, and something that
only listening with full attention can convey at its deepest level.

The music styles can be compared to the likes of Steve Roach with his warm hammocks of space ambient, Thomas Koner for
colder passages and passing glances in nuance, and further field recording research made more primed by Wire magazine's
2013 article on the In The Field book about the art of field recording. Tones sensuously slipstream into one another,
and there is a strong lure to listen closer. While no specific and non-abstract meaning can be taken from the hours of
ultramundane sound on offer here, Van Cooten has at least triumphed in the art of making a large hospice for shivering
droners, neoclassicons and instrumentalists from around the globe. Take a trip into the world of Ambientblog with this,
a time capsule from the farthest reaches of time and space.

Mick Buckingham

Messages In This Thread
RE: For The Ambient Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 - by Muttley - 8th June 2016, 00:48

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For The Closcrete Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 Muttley 43 54,307 1st September 2021, 13:21
Last Post: Muttley
  For The Electronica Lovers...review and mixtape archive 001 Muttley 81 95,343 19th September 2020, 10:30
  Soundscape lovers - AGN / Hibernate collaboration CD Muttley 11 19,800 7th June 2019, 12:09
  Toronto Rave Mixtape Archive firefinga 2 6,537 12th September 2017, 11:35
Last Post: EdwardSullivan63
  For Lovers of AMEN! NoodeL 9 13,646 17th January 2017, 18:22
Last Post: MetaLX