midi drum kits yey or nay?

8 Replies, 1932 Views

ive been think bout getting a kit so as i can play my own breaks but a live kit is out of the question due mainly to price and noise

so whats ppls thouhgts on a decent midi kit??

a friend whose a drummer in a fairly succesfull metal bands has suggested i should and i dont think he would if they were no good

but thought id get some more opinions first
If you're concerned about price, electronic drum kits can be VERY expensive.. and I've heard that the cheaper ones aren't that good.

They would be fun, but I'd stick to playing "the mouse".
yeh im wonderin bout just getting a snare to start with so i can play my own fills n rolls
I've got a Roland TD-6 that I picked up used, including a stool and a kick pedal for $800. It's great for practice as well because you can play in phones til late. It doesn't have a built in sampler, but it interfaces just dandy with battery, you just need to build a map (or ask me for mine - it'll save 15 minutes or so of work) and a bunch of kits to play!

If you're looking for cheap cheap cheap and are mechanically inclined, you could try this as well:

http://www.instructables.com/id/ERBA0PDKH8ES9J7AOG/

but you still have to spring for a 'brain.'

Programming breaks this way is great though Smile
Advertisements here:

[Image: jungletrain_2.png]

[Image: xgnban_new.gif]
cheers for the advice Smile
i'm a drummer and i've never bought a midi drum kit. mainly cos of the money, but recently when i play them i just think ' Neutral ' playing fills and all that is a nice idea... but the degree of farting about out sorting them out so they play the right hits (unless it's machine gun action you are after Hahaha ) etc...

meh

real drums or stfu

bobule - remember that cymbal, when you pung it and then put your ear up by the rim - bass Lovesmilie don't get that on a vdrum No
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Grin im gonna stick to choppin loops i think get as good at that as i can instead of trying to do 2 things at once if u get what i mean

plus i just realised ive got zero funds atm anyway so i couldnt buy a kit even if i wanted to and if i did have some cash i would probally be swayed into gettin some new plugs especially some of those musch raved about UADs......they as good as ppl say?
macc Wrote:i'm a drummer and i've never bought a midi drum kit. mainly cos of the money, but recently when i play them i just think ' Neutral ' playing fills and all that is a nice idea... but the degree of farting about out sorting them out so they play the right hits (unless it's machine gun action you are after Hahaha ) etc...

meh

real drums or stfu

bobule - remember that cymbal, when you pung it and then put your ear up by the rim - bass Lovesmilie don't get that on a vdrum No

im totally with macc for the most part, as he said the cymbal!!!!!!
we used a td6 for latent notion live for quite a while but i gotta say since we switched to acoustic the band has so much more energy...

but vdrums are awesome for practicing on headphones..
Real cymbals, hats and snare are a must. Kick, toms and percussion sounds via midi is okay though, particularly for this sort of music.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProducerLoops.com Releases 'R-Loops: Free Kits' equinoxsounds 1 3,858 3rd October 2011, 20:34
Last Post: Shiva
  UAD card only - no software - for $175... Yay or nay? Macc 31 7,539 17th February 2007, 02:24
Last Post: Macc
  Electronic drum kits thush-ara 27 3,418 17th July 2006, 13:17
Last Post: bobule
  MIDI - Question 2 / Drum Chopping Methodology Code 19 4,184 12th July 2006, 16:10
Last Post: Xaf
  Yey!! 10in - 10out + new PC Shiva 4 1,056 10th July 2006, 18:18
Last Post: Shiva