Just picked up my first copy of The Economist

21 Replies, 5594 Views

Headline is "Europe's economy".

Wanted something different to read and as I am interested in politics now and then, I wanted it from a trustworthy source.

Other main stories are:

- Cheaper oil: winners and losers
- How big data could help stop Ebola
- Cameron's European bungle
- Pakistan's Taliban crumbles
- Skiving at work: a guide

£5 from yr local newsagent. Picture of a dead parrot on the front.

Will report back.
Very good magazine. Use to be a subscriber. Stopped because I couldn't keep up. Would take me 3 weeks to read one mag.
It'll probably take me longer than that to read this one. Europe may be the headline, but it's included in the form of a multi subject stroke metanarrative relay of mini articles, just in case anyone got confused.
Really interesting article on Boris Johnson on p35, will post a small quote later. Smile
Muttley Wrote:£5 from yr local newsagent. Picture of a dead parrot on the front.

Hahaha
That parrot is very much alive.
Metal Eggs!
I was pinning for the fjords Lol Wave Kisskiss
Not sure what that means, but it's just become the title of a new track I'm working on. :P
MetaLX Wrote:I was pinning for the fjords Lol Wave Kisskiss

Wave
Hello there!

@Mutters, it's a Monty Python ref Wink Smilie08sim
I like your space.

Stimulating stories on p34: Big English cities are pushing for more power / A master forger's works are auctioned. In the latter, Mr Hebborn forged a painting said to be by Brueghel for $5.2m.

"Hebborn's most expensive sketch this week went for £2,600". He hasn't been charged yet Hahaha
"With the economy contracting by as much as 10% this year, inflation at 14%, reserves melting and debt looming, foreign aid is required". (Ukraine, p37-38]
Little immigration fact for you: approx 250,000 immigrated into UK in 2014. By 50,000, respondents tend saying it's gone too far. #economist
Nice (yet tiredly needed) article on immigration in the wake of the Rochester by-election on p27-28

"Different places also respond differently to the various sorts of immigrants. In Rochester, unlike in the Fens, eastern Europeans are relatively well-liked. One local restauranteur describes the hierarchy. Most favoured are the Indians, who arrived decades ago and run curry houses on the High Street. Then comes the Poles, who tend to speak good English ("they're like us; they work in the week and go to the pub at the weekend," opines one UKIP activist). The Kurds and Kosovans are the least popular, because they struggle with the language and are thought to overburden schools. Parts of the town are like a Little Kosovo, sighs the restaurant owner."
2 paragraphs of the week:

"In a large shed on a disused military airfield north of London, old toothpaste tubes are being fed into a machine to
undergo microwave-induced pyrolysis. They emerge hours later as shreds of aluminium. The process may be as unglamorous
as the location, but this is the stuff of entrepenurial dreams.

It is the first machine in the world, according to inventor Carlos Ludlow-Palafox, that can recycle a type of packaging
called plastic aluminium laminate. As most of the world is using an increasing amount of this material Mr Ludlow-Palafox
hopes it will make a fortune for his company Enval. In Britain alone, there are some 80 local governments that might buy
such a machine, which costs about 1.5m. Each one could produce about £300,000 worth of reusable material every year
(after costs). The potential export market is large."
Interesting new statistic on the BBC this brunchtime: wages are up 1,3% but completely neutralised by inflation in the UK.
"The cheapest embassy appears to be North Korea's semi-detached house in Gunnersbury. But least proportionate to national wealth could be the consulate of Tuvalu, based in a £750,000 property in Wimbledon. If sold, it could pay off 11% of the tiny state's national debt". #economist
"As well as pay rises for workers, the TUC (Trades Union Congress) wants more companies to pay the living wage - £7.65 ($12.30 an hour), or £8.80 in London - to their lowest earners, and a crackdown on "excessive" executive pay. Mr Milburn would exempt the working poor, who often have their wages topped up by the state, from further public spending cuts. That will be difficult. State pensions which make up two-thirds of the welfare budget, have already been protected from austerity".

~ What recovery? p32
Good idea to pick up this magazine.

It's a prime example why quality print magazines are still useful sources of knowledge and information.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
Seeing as the issue is well out of print by now, I'll reproduce a gist of a vert interesting article here:

P38 - Sweden's submarine hunt

Echoes Of The Cold War - The frustrating search for a suspect Russian submarine

Talk of a new cold war between Russia and Europe may be overdoing it, but the scenes being played out in Kanholmsfjarden, an area of water some 40 metres (25 miles) east of Stockholm, vividly reminiscent of a drama from an earlier era. In 1981 a Soviet Whiskey-Class submarine, U137, ran aground near Karlskrona, a Swedish naval base. The incident, regarded as a flagrant breach of the country's neutrality, became known as "Whiskey on the rocks". It was far from a one-off: Soviet submarines carried out operations in Swedish waters throughout the cold war, reaching a peak of aggression in the 1980s.

History may be repeating itself. On October 17th Sweden's armed-forces command reported that, following a visual observation by a "credible source", it was investigating probable "foreign underwater activity". The following day, as the navy stepped up the search by deploying additional vessels armed with sensors, Sweden's leading newspaper, Svenska Dagbladet, claimed that a distress call in Russian had been picked up, as had encrypted radio traffic, between a location outside Stockholm and the Russian Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad. The apparently well-sourced story said that it all pointed to a Russian submarine that was lying damaged in Swedish waters.

Since then, a small fleet consisting of corvettes, minesweepers and fast patrol boats, pursued by a waterborne media pack, has criss-crossed the coastal waters outside the capital in the hunt for the submarine. Despite several reported sightings by (possibly overexcited) civilians, it had not been found as #theeconomist went to press. The frustration is beginning to show.

(...)
V good predate article about Greece's insolvency regarding austerity measures - 2 essential quotes from late 2014 #economist

"According to the EU and IMF, Greece's economy will grow 0.6% in 2014 and 2.9% in 2015". (p40)
"Meanwhile, Alex Tsipras, the 40-year old Syriza leader, has been building bridges with EU leaders in Brussels and the German government in Berlin. He is still pressing for Greece's creditors to write off at least half the country's swollen public debt, now almost 175% of GDP. But European officials say he is no longer the intransigent firebrand who promised in 2012 to tear up the 'barbarous memorandum' if he came to power. Mr Tsipras has quietly tried to reassure political investors bringing in money from abroad that Greece would be a business-friendly member of the euro zone under a Syriza government. The hedge funds that led the recent stampede out of Greek bonds have yet to be entirely convinced". (p41)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone have a retail copy of OS X 10.5 they want to sell me? Ben Kei 12 3,913 17th February 2012, 20:18
Last Post: Ben Kei
  The Economist piece on Amen Ming 4 1,707 20th December 2011, 19:41
Last Post: HiddenSound
  i recently picked up a few old Peshay tracks nuffbonsai 16 7,619 7th December 2010, 20:42
Last Post: nolige
  Picked Clean Appreciation Roo Stercogburn 5 2,154 6th November 2010, 09:33
Last Post: cycom
  Dont copy that floppy droid 4 709 19th March 2010, 18:21
Last Post: Naphta