How is Digital Clipping Bad? (Formerly known as "Eh????????)

101 Replies, 11146 Views

i like digital clipping; my take on it is basically unless you are running mackies with those titanium dome fucking tweeters and your d/a converters are too accurate and so the clipping sounds like metal being shredded with all the consequences of a metal shredder on your ears (and you're not into that), digital clipping to a certin point on a whole song makes it sound badass thru the d/a/ converters of a mixer, a stereo channel, softer speakers or any other analog stage.. digital does not remain digital if you play it out into the world; it's a certain aesthetic i've grown into especially with industrial and hardcore sounds, and the new dsp chips and converters in certain fx processors that take digital clipping to not only a new extreme but very tasty distortion textures useful for the expression of those aesthetics..

.. so i've played the tracks from an unmastered cd with clearly clipping levels and i can say i'm pleased with the results, if nobody else is.. i love the sound of a sound system being pushed to the limit, whether it's a tube amp or a MOSFET and digital clipping artfully applied in a track whether using software distortion devices to achieve the sound or not (usually not) does the trick very nicely.. probably not for d'n'b, where your shit absolutely must sound like Simon @ the Exchange or Andy C mixed it.

Messages In This Thread
How is Digital Clipping Bad? (Formerly known as "Eh????????) - by SETI - 16th September 2006, 13:08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clipping / Distortion Question mucsavage 14 4,840 8th December 2008, 18:38
Last Post: mucsavage
  analog clipping-good or bad?? Ruffneck Dave 6 3,022 25th February 2008, 14:47
Last Post: Ruffneck Dave
  Clipping/distortion/lim/comp - what you do to your tunes Profane 100 20,366 7th December 2007, 16:07
Last Post: Macc
  "total output" clipping question cordani 10 5,581 12th June 2007, 17:41
Last Post: Senator Adam
  Digital clipping weirdness Logos 1 1,341 28th May 2007, 00:04
Last Post: Logos