whats a good audio/midi interface for mac

6 Replies, 6378 Views

Hi im looking for a basic one that would allow me to have pre amp for mic and maybe be able to hook midi once I had that from outside gear. What is an affordable basic one that is powered by usb?

thanks for tips in advance!
There are so many brands and what not it just depends on how many inputs and outputs you are willing to invest in. Most swing both ways between PC and Mac.
Good brands I know of for under $200: Focusrite, M-Audio, PreSonus, Mackie...
You could probably pick up an older firewire or usb2.0 top draw interface for good money secondhand as well. I recommend MOTU - had an 828mkII, loved it.

I would not recommend the Tascam US-122 or US-144 bus-powered ones. I had a 144 and it couldn't handle anything. Lasted 20mins.
chris.innocence Wrote:There are so many brands and what not it just depends on how many inputs and outputs you are willing to invest in. Most swing both ways between PC and Mac.
Good brands I know of for under $200: Focusrite, M-Audio, PreSonus, Mackie...
You could probably pick up an older firewire or usb2.0 top draw interface for good money secondhand as well. I recommend MOTU - had an 828mkII, loved it.

I would not recommend the Tascam US-122 or US-144 bus-powered ones. I had a 144 and it couldn't handle anything. Lasted 20mins.

Oh great. Im going to look for the MOTU. I hate making decisions if i can find that second hand gonna get it. I really dont need to much but better to get something that is better made. By any chance do any interfaces have a pre amp for headphones? I just got the seinheisers and am looking to get a headphone pre amp.
chris.innocence Wrote:Good brands I know of for under $200: Focusrite, M-Audio, PreSonus, Mackie...

you know whats funny on ebay they have the most Tascams for sale!
I found the MK11 that you mentioned for around 100 used and some even less on auction, pretty good deal but the thing is I dont need that big of an interface at all, ( maybe one day but not now).
As far as it being usb 2 and fire wire is why I kinda wanted it to make sure its fast and responsive ( well i think thats what matters right, with how it communicates with the computer?)... I did a few searches for other usb 2 and fire wire and found nothing cheap. Maybe its worth it to get it even though I dont have the need for so many ins.
Still not too sure about these and what really matters as far as quality. Really just want to be able to put a mic in at this point as I have no other gear.... yet.. hehe
yeah the MOTU looks epic, I think Maff had one. He was singing it's praises.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
noisemonkey Wrote:yeah the MOTU looks epic, I think Maff had one. He was singing it's praises.
well i missed the auction one went used for 40 dollars. ;-(
I dont know I can get one for 100.
Thing is now they have the MK3 think that is why they are cheaper on ebay.
I have the MK3. It's a powerhouse and goes at it like a jackhammer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FS: UK Zoom R16 Multitrack dig recorder/interface/controller Paradigm X 0 3,644 4th September 2013, 10:29
Last Post: Paradigm X
  Anyone thinking of upgrading a usb (focusrite) interface? Paradigm X 0 2,849 10th October 2012, 09:53
Last Post: Paradigm X
  Fireface UCX Audio Interface Roo Stercogburn 6 6,265 26th September 2012, 10:40
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  USB/Firewire interface advice? droid 3 3,861 24th June 2011, 16:12
Last Post: droid
  What's the best USB Audio Interface available at the moment? Maledicent 3 3,446 28th December 2010, 21:04
Last Post: Maledicent